• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal belongings of a deceased father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Becky Manna

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?PA
My father recently passed away rather suddenly. He left some belongings at his new girlfriends home. When asked to return the items to his next of kin( my brother and I) she refused. I am the oldest child, does she have the right to keep the belongings, even if there was not a will? Or should I pursue this matter further with a lawyer? The personal belongings were Marine Corps memorabilia from his career.

Dandy Don

Does your father have any other assets that need to be reclaimed (bank accounts, pension benefits, etc.). If he does, then you need to file at the county courthouse to be administrator of his estate (or hire a probate attorney to do so), since the administrator is the one having the legal authority to claim any and all assets and personal belongings.

How stupid/spiteful can this person be? Obviously she would have no use for these items.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

B

Becky Manna

Thankyou

Dandy don,
I have already taken care of bank accounts, pension,ect. But the only thing left to do is go throught these boxes at the home of his girlfriend. The real sad thing is ....she had only been his girlfriend for two months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">