• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retirement rollover

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

idnic19

I live and work in vermont. the company i was employed at for 5 years was bought out by another company. i would like to roll over the money from my retirement account from the old into the new but they won't release it untill 2025 as it is over $5000. other employees have recieved lump sum buyout checks. i called the company to see why others recieved thiers and they said because it was under $5000. is there anything i can do?

Beth3

1. We need to know what type of retirement plan you are referring to.

2. Did you ask the employer WHY you think you have over $5,000 in the Plan and they think you have less? Might it be a vesting issue?

3. Did you ask the employer why the dollar amount makes a difference?

Anyone trying to answer your questions at this end is working entirely in the dark at the moment.

I

idnic19

the only info about what kind of plan is it is an accrued benefit from a retirement fund they won't tell me how much i have accrued just that it is over $5,000.

Beth3

idnic, without knowing exactly what type of retirement plans are involved, it's impossible to advise you. I suggest you gather up whatever written documentation you have (monthly/quarterly statements, Plan Document, etc.) and see a local attorney who has experience dealing with retirement and/or employer benefit plans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">