• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commander's Authority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

af_sting

What is the name of your state? Deployed US Forces Korea

Background information: Recently 3 members of my unit (USAF Group Level) were caught off base after curfew, fighting with a vendor, and were in an off limits establishment (certain areas are deemed off-limits due to the unscrupulous activity there). In response to the actions of these individuals, the group commander issued a "lock-down order” restricting all members of our group to whatever base they were assigned, or in the case of people living off-base, restricting them to their home of residence during off duty hours.

Issue: Multiple subordinates have questioned the legality of what appears to be non-judicial punishment. I contacted the Area Defense Council and was told the commander does indeed have this authority in the name of the "Health of the Unit". Although I concur with the intent of the order (bring attention to the actions of a few), I'm curious if there are any checks or bounds on the commander’s ability to restrict or confine his command?

Thank you,

-Sting

Shay-Pari'e

af_sting said:
What is the name of your state? Deployed US Forces Korea

Background information: Recently 3 members of my unit (USAF Group Level) were caught off base after curfew, fighting with a vendor, and were in an off limits establishment (certain areas are deemed off-limits due to the unscrupulous activity there). In response to the actions of these individuals, the group commander issued a "lock-down order” restricting all members of our group to whatever base they were assigned, or in the case of people living off-base, restricting them to their home of residence during off duty hours.

Issue: Multiple subordinates have questioned the legality of what appears to be non-judicial punishment. I contacted the Area Defense Council and was told the commander does indeed have this authority in the name of the "Health of the Unit". Although I concur with the intent of the order (bring attention to the actions of a few), I'm curious if there are any checks or bounds on the commander’s ability to restrict or confine his command?

Thank you,

-Sting

The UCMJ is the law 24 hours a day for military members. The Commander of the unit has the authority to restrict, and confine all members of his unit. JAG was correct in giving this information.

VR_Hunter

I have spent plenty of time on the Korean Peninsula and have been affected by "lock-downs" also. It is a pain in the butt. However, the curfew is there because the military KNOWS what will happen if troops are allowed to roam free at will. Your scenario makes that point. Why do you think there is a Town Patrol?

Off base time is a privilege. Your commander does what he must to maintain peace between the Koreans and American forces. He/she has every right, and obligation, to implement whatever action he/she deems necessary to maintain good community relations and the safety of all assigned. To include lock-down.

I assume all three misdirected personnel are confined to base, no drinking, extra duty, Article 15, etc?

Are you at Osan, Kunsan or a Mag? I tell you what, I sure miss the Zone, Whisky-a-go-go (large beer!), Gissimo, OB, Palace, Xanadu, Yong Chon, etc. Some crazy stuff happens over there. I am glad it stays there also. LOL.

I was an AMMO troop (Ret). Good luck, mind curfew, or find a hotel to shack up in for the night.

BTW, a lot of those "Off limit establishments" have direct ties to the Korean underworld. It isn't just the female offerings that make them off limits. It is the danger to American personnel who act up in those places. I have seen the after affects of a troop who got lippy in one of those joints. He literally had to drink liquid for a month. His jaw was wired shut, screws in his skull to hold pieces together, lacerations, broken arm, etc. You get the point. Stay away from those areas for a reason. Have fun everywhere else though. SOJU!! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">