• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bgrasn

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My ex wife and I got divorced in 2000. In the divorce I got sole owner ship of the house and she got to live in it paying rent and utilities and so forth. Once again I got sole ownership of the house with legal documents through the court to prove it. In 2001 I moved back in( never got remarried) and in 2002 we refinanced the house through the bank in both our names. Do I still have sole ownership of the house or is it ours again? Which document takes precedent, the one through the court or the one through the bank? Or is there something different I should know about?

Thank you
Bgrasn

BelizeBreeze

The mortgage is a matter between you and the lending institution. Who's name is on the deed is the owner. Now, if you have her name on the deed, then she owns 50% of the house. If her name is ONLY on the mortgage, then she owns 50% of the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">