• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executive Passed Away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cleo1

What is the name of your state?New York State
A second cousin passed away in March 2004. Instructions for her funeral arrangements with my name on it was found by a detective along with hand written unwitnessed wills naming me as executrix and also giving me the power of attorney. I buried her according to her wishes. So far only one very old offical will (through an attorney) was found. The executive named on this will passed away years ago. This matter was given to probate court in Queens Cty. What happens now? Does the court handle the whole estate or do they appoint an administrator? If they do, how do they choose one? Since I paid for the funeral and would like reimbursement, I'm wondering how long it will be before I get reimbursed. Also, other than maybe 2 first cousins and several second cousins still living there are no other living relatives. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Given to probate court by whom?

Start consulting with a local attorney to find out how to apply for the position of administrator yourself (using the will that named you as evidence that the decedent was acquainted with you) so that the court will hold off on appointing an attorney who may not be familiar with the decedent.

Do you have a copy of the older will to find out if it even names you as a beneficiary? If not then you need to contact the court to get a copy.

You can file a claim with the estate to get your reimbursement.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">