• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is divorce by Default easier?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WILDFLOWER

I have just retained a lawyer and his method of approach on getting me divorced will be by going after a default divorce since I have had no luck in finding the person I am seperated from. He suggested we will go to the Judge with my info. from the private investigator proving the only address we have from the last 5 years is a PO Box. He will hopefully get permission from the Judge to serve the PO Box and run a public notice in the local paper. My lawyer is telling me if there is no response within 30 days he will go to the Judge and motion for a default to be put into action. Does this sound about right to you or is my lawyer missing something? It's not that I don't trust him, It's that I'm so scared one wrong step will cause me my freedom from this man. Please give me your opinion on his approach and let me know what happens after it goes in as a default type divorce. I am confused on what the next steps would be in order to get a divorce granted. Any suggestions would help. Thank You.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">