• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical records copying fees and HIPAA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AngryFish

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My sons switched doctors offices due to their pediatrician starting her own practice. So we requested for a copy of their medical records to be sent to us. However, according to the office manager of the former doctor's office, they have a $20 medical records copying fee per child.

My sons are 9-months old and 27 months old; they probably have no more than 4 pages of medical records in total. I thought it was a bit excessive to charge a total of $40 for probably no more than 4 pages of records.

I did some initial research, and came upon the following.

http://www.isms.org/news/express/pub_articles/0801_b.html
- Updated for 2003, hospitals and physicians will be limited to a $20.48 handling charge plus 77 cents per page for the first 25 pages, 51 cents for pages 26 - 50 and 26 cents for each page in excess of 50 (see table).

http://www.ihatoday.org/public/legal/hipaamedrec.htm
- However, the HIPAA Privacy Rule prohibits the provider (and the provider’s copy service) from charging a handling fee to patients or their personal representatives as defined in the HIPAA rule.

So, can the previous doctor's office charge a flat fee of $20 per child which "they've been charging for years" according to the office manager? Or are they limited to $0.77 per page and actual shipping costs? Thanks.

Last edited:

T

truly

Is your pediatrician a hospital based practice or are they independent? When an office is independent, they often pay a medical records company for copying and storage of their records. Many physician offices have similar charges for having copies of patient medical records sent to patient's home. Is the charge the same if you have the medical records forwarded directly to the new doc?

Last edited:
D

d8ddysgirl

This happens all the time. Most offices have it posted however. Its really irritating because of all the money the Dr already makes.

rmet4nzkx

They can charge to provide you with copies although they provide them free of cost when sent to another care provider and the waivers are signed. Give them a copy of the latest HIPPA requirements. If you are traveling and not sure who their doctor will be until after you get there you might talk them into providing a copy for you to "hand carry" to the next provider in case they are needed along the way. Sometimes when there are more than one potential provider it might be simpler to get one copy. Also, when you have lab work done ask for copies for your records, most labs will provide this or your provider will, same for vaccination records and is different than their notes.

ellencee

AngryFish
Although the HIPAA site you referenced is for hospitals and not for physician offices, HIPAA does supercede state law in setting the 'price' of copies of one's medical records or the medical records for whom one is a representative (as you are for your minor children).

Inform the pediatrician's office that you will pay a $.77 (if that is the fee that applies to your state) per page for your children's medical records, plus the cost of mailing the copies to you, and that you will receive the records within 30 days as required by HIPAA. You may want to add a note that to prevent further difficulties from patients and, or their representatives, that the office contact HIPAA for a copy of this provision and make the necessary changes for compliance.

EC

vrzirn

You may stand on principle a very long time. They will delay, lose your request, not return your calls, etc. etc. If you really want those records, pay them the $40, which is not excessive, and you will receive them.
You forget that it will require the services of a clerk to take the time from other duties to provide them for you. How much a doctor makes is not the issue. The issue is what you pay to receive those records in a timely manner.

R

responder

It is $20.48 handling fee plus .77 per a page copy. Typically though a doctor's office does not charge for patient. Usually though only charge for medical records to lawyers, insurance companies you applied to, and other third parties interested in your records. If your doctor left to start their own practice there may be some ill feelings. Doctors go to school for a long time and pay a lot of money. The insurance companies pay them a fraction of their billed charges. It is unfair to relate their income to this fee. I would just pay the $40 and move on...

That's sad.

In Kentucky you get your first copy free of charge and then if you want another one after that you pay so much a copy. I think it's like a $1 per-page. Unless you find something missing or something wrong with your first copy of your records then they give you another free copy. You might want to look into this. Some people don't have the $40 to get there kids records. Plus most of the time there new doctor can send for a copy on there first visit which that company can fax over free of charge.

L

litlebitgizmome

medical records copying fees

undefined
I am in Texas and just had to have numerous copies of my mothers medical records. $36.00 for the first 10 pages and $1.20 a page after that.
Would have been pleased to pay $20.00.

lkc15507

Actually, I think the first mistake is in requesting the copies be sent to you. Most providers will charge for copies sent to the insured / patient. But, most do not charge if the copies are sent directly sent to another provider. Also, a long-shot, but try asking the insurer to reimburse you. If you have a reason for going to & / or referral to the new physician the insurer may cover copying and shipping charges. lkc155007

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">