• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Seriously needed advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marvelanne

What is the name of your state? NY

I posted my dilemma before in "saved ssa benefits," but after doing a search of this site I came across a reply to an old post. I read a couple of other similar scenarios. I cannot believe this is true! Does anyone here know if saved survivors' benefits can actually be taken away from the child?!! I am now in a state of near panic!

Here is the post again:

Reply to: "can an independent 16 year old file for SS"

"Also, in a case just decided in the area I live, the SSA sued a young person (now 19 and in college) and her guardian for repayment of monies paid. The persons parents were killed when the she was 9 and her aunt collected the SS benefits for the child till she turned 18. About a year ago a story in a local newspaper made liight of this and how wonderful the aunt was because she saved every penny received from SS over the years for the childs education. It was one of those heart warming do good stories, poor family saves up so disadvantaged child can attend major U.S. university. The SSA sued claiming that the survivor benefits were for day to day expensed in raising the child, not to be put away for later. The SSA won in court and took back over $30,000 from the recipient. If you want to save the money for later, don't tell anyone."

Is this possible??!!! Someone here must know about this!! Help!!!!

M

marvelanne

This situation is about SSI benefits (welfare). Recipients cannot accumulate more than $2,000 because the benefits are need-based. Not so with survivors' benefits. Saved benefits can be kept.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">