• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CindyCindyCindy

Indiana. My mom married a man when I was 5 yrs old. I am now 44 yrs old. (I was not adopted by him) My mom is deceased. My step-father passed away in June 2004. In 2002 he mailed me a letter intending it to be his last will and testament. It was not notarized nor witnessed. His mother and 4 of his siblings are still living. Who is the rightful beneficiary of his estate? If it is not me legally, is there any way to honor his wishes as stated in the letter he sent me?

Dandy Don

Since the will does not have the legally required 2 witnesses, it is invalid and the estate will be divided according to intestacy law and the estate will be assumed not to have had a will. Yes, YOU are the beneficiary, but first try to get some idea of the total value of the estate, and then check at the county courthouse probate court to see what the minimum amount of estate value is before probate is required or if there is a simplified procedure for smaller estates.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">