• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ - need advice re: towed car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

earperson1

New JerseyWhat is the name of your state?

Ok - my daughter went to the beach in New Jersey and had her car towed - they claim she was parked less than 50 feet from a stop sign. First, there were no posted signs that she was in a tow away zone. Second, the car was towed FIRST, then the ticket was written (5 minutes later).

I'm trying to research some of the NJ parking laws and can't find stuff on the web - any advice? Need to know the following:

1. Can a car be towed for this offense?

2. Can a car be leagally towed BEFORE the ticket is issued? ( I would think that it would be theft of the car because the ticket was not issued until after the fact).

3. Can a car be towed if there are no signs indicating that it is a tow zone?

4. Can the ticket be issued AFTER a car is towed?

and finally 5. In NJ who does the towing, private industry or is it the police themselves?

Thanks for any help you can give me.....

You Are Guilty

What are you planning on doing, suing the State for discrimination against bad parkers?

In the meantime, it's likely that the questions you asked are not related to state law (was this at a State park?), but rather, local/town codes, which means we can't help. As a general rule though, you can't tow people parked legally, but you don't have to warn them that illegal parking may result in a tow. Check to see what signage was there and what signs were supposed to be there but were missing/knocked down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">