• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure where question belongs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sdrv20

Illinois
We as a company do a large amount of purchasing from outside suppliers. When the supplier offers a golf outing perk to all the mid management group, can someone from within the group purposely "not invite" one member, simply because he/she does not "like" that person?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The supplier has no obligation to invite anyone at all, and can choose who his guests will be. Unless the reason he "does not like" the person is BECAUSE OF their race, gender, national origin etc. there is no illegal discrimination.

S

Sdrv20

I should have been a little more specific. It is someone from our company dictating to the supplier not to include certain people. Not the supplier.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It doesn't change the answer, though. It only changes who would get the complaint filed against them IF the excluded employee has a VALID reason to believe that it is their race, religion etc. that is the triggering factor.

Beth3

Someone on your management team excluding you from the outing because of personal animums (i.e. they don't like you) is NOT prohibited discrimination.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Certainly. Prohibited discrimination is that which is forbidden by law; i.e. race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or age (at the Federal level, over 40 only). Some, but by no means all, states have added a few other groups to this listing; in Illinois the state additions are citizen status, arrest record, marital status, military status, or unfavorable discharge from the military.

So if the individual is being excluded BECAUSE OF one of the reasons above, it is illegal. If s/he is being excluded for ANY OTHER REASON WHATSOEVER including that the decision maker simply does not like them, it's not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">