• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor Income Fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cleo1

What is the name of your state?New York
I understand that an executive receives a commission for services but besides that commission is also entitled to an income commission of the annual income. Who's annual income? The person handling the estate or the deceased? If it's the deceased and that person was retire, would that include pension, social security and interest earned on bank accounts that were distributed quarterly?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

It is the income coming into the estate, which would normally be that of the decedent, which means ANY MONEY that comes in.

C

co-executor

Anybody??? Does anyone know what percentage of the estate income an executor is entitled to? Thanks.

C

co-executor

Yes, NY has an odd stepped method for determining executor commissions. But I thought that income produced by the estate was treated different when determining the executors commission. Basically because there is a greater burden on the executor to run an apartment business while settling the estate. In fact, most realtors won't touch it in this area for anything less than 10% plus maintenance, cleaning, etc. I’m not really worried about it, I’d just like to know.

Dandy Don

You may want to check with a New York attorney to find out if this rate has increased:

5% of the first $100,000 received and paid out, plus
4% of the next $200,000, plus
3% of the next $700,000, plus
2.5% of the next $4 million.

C

co-executor

Thanks Dandy. That's in line with what I've heard. So, if the list of assets totals $700,000 and the income produced by the estate totals $40,000 then the figure I base the commission on is $740,000?

Dandy Don

Correct. You should consult with a local probate attorney to find out if perhaps the commission is a bit higher now due to changes in the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">