• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support in Missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sunni

I was a bartender for many years, and because of that, I still have a lot people who come to my with their problems, asking advice. I keep directing them to this websight, but seems I am the one who winds up doing it. I enjoy it, so not complaining, but if I can get a little advice for one more friend, I'd appreciate it! And then look out, cause I've got a good one coming up.(It's advice for me, and I need a lot)!!!!
Anyway, yesterday a friend received a letter from Child Support Enforcement, they are going to garnish her wages for support. In May of '98, she was put in jail for non-support(which she was never ordered to pay) and was given the amount of $226. per month, placed on 4 years probation to be sure she paid. She has not missed one payment, nor has she missed a meeting with probation officer, etc. Now they are saying she will be garnished for the $226. AND 56.50 more for back child support. She has only a short amount of time to respond, and has an appointment today to speak to the "investigator" to discuss it. She has never been allowed her visitation with her boys, and even though that isn't relevant to this case, is very upset about that, and we'll be looking into that, soon.
Thanks in advance for your help!

LegalBeagle

There is something missing from the story.. you can not be put in jail for non support if there is not court order in place... that is because you are not in contempt of any order.. To be put in jail for non payments she would have had to have been told at some point to pay by a judge.

Also, visitation and CS are totally different. For visitation, she needs to petition the courts for it.

Anyway.. I never saw an actual question in your post..

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

S

Sunni

LegalBeagle
Thanks for your quick response, just a note to say the meeting went well. Looks like she is correct with her information, and all looks better. She also was sent in the right direction to enforce visitation.
Please watch for me, I am about ready to start with my own questions.
Sunni

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">