• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandonment??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jdmagyk

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?GA

My husband of 2+ years walked out of our home (condo in my name only) with my car keys and house key (I suppose to keep me from goiing anywhere) and cleaned out our joint checking account, with checks still outstanding. That was Wednesday evening. On Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, he closed out the checking account. Most of our bills were set up to come out of checking automatically. Today, Friday, he came with his son and daughter-in-law and got his clothes and part of his financial papers. He indicated that he was moving into an assisted living facility. I am disabled but did not follow through on disability claim after we were married since he said he would take care of me, and that if he died, I would receive support through his VA, SS, and OWCP benefits. He is 80, I am 50. I am numb with shock. I have no money, no way to make all of the payments (utilities, mortgage, etc) that had been paid for out of our joint checking account. Yes, it was his money mostly (I had sold some assets worth 10000 which I deposited in account) but can he do this, just walk out with no financial responsibility at all??? I have nothing. What can I do???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jdmagyk said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?GA

My husband of 2+ years walked out of our home (condo in my name only) with my car keys and house key (I suppose to keep me from goiing anywhere) and cleaned out our joint checking account, with checks still outstanding. That was Wednesday evening. On Thursday afternoon or Friday morning, he closed out the checking account. Most of our bills were set up to come out of checking automatically. Today, Friday, he came with his son and daughter-in-law and got his clothes and part of his financial papers. He indicated that he was moving into an assisted living facility. I am disabled but did not follow through on disability claim after we were married since he said he would take care of me, and that if he died, I would receive support through his VA, SS, and OWCP benefits. He is 80, I am 50. I am numb with shock. I have no money, no way to make all of the payments (utilities, mortgage, etc) that had been paid for out of our joint checking account. Yes, it was his money mostly (I had sold some assets worth 10000 which I deposited in account) but can he do this, just walk out with no financial responsibility at all??? I have nothing. What can I do???

My response:

Ummm . . . how about setting up an appointment with a local Family Law attorney. Gee, that sounds like a logical move to me. Then, you might want to think about applying for Welfare and Food Stamps.

IAAL

C

cibyr

RUN to the attorney quickly since you have checks outstanding!!! Explain your situation.
maybe you can apply for social security income (SSI) since you are disabled and might be eligible for it. Go to Social Seucrity immediately because it takes like one to two months of waiting so you will need to do it quickly. Then if you had a long time of work history you might qualify for SS...You can even apply for food stamps at same time in Social Security while you fill out SSI make appointment with them right now.

Go to Family Attorney right now do not wait.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">