• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Child Support in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pony1

Hi,

I have a 5 year old son, and we have never had a legal agreement but are trying to come up with one now. Over the years they told me that $400.00 was the minimum child support and, for years, I paid it. I recently found out that it was not true. I've paid over 27,000.00 for my child, either directly to the mother or indirectly through day care, costs, etc. I have records of most of this but my question is...Do you think I will be ordered to pay back child support?

Thanks.

LegalBeagle

Unlikely.. there was no court order and you were paying anyway.. any new amount will start from the date of filing.. so the worse that can happen is that the petition is filed in may, the court is october.. the amount comes to 500 dollars.. which means you will owe an extra 100 dollars from May onwards..

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

Pony1

I told the mom that I would give her some money to help out until we get the child support order. She said to just go ahead and give some money to the dentist. If I pay this money to the dentist, per her request, do you think the judge will take that into consideration or will it count as nothing since I didn't give it directly to the mother?

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pony1:
I told the mom that I would give her some money to help out until we get the child support order. She said to just go ahead and give some money to the dentist. If I pay this money to the dentist, per her request, do you think the judge will take that into consideration or will it count as nothing since I didn't give it directly to the mother? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only 'safe' way is to pay by check or direct deposit to your ex.. that way you have a solid paper trail documenting how much and when.

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">