• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

monte1

I was just recently informed that my son who just turned four may not be mine. His mother has been telling people that because she didn't know how to contact the legal father she would tell me the baby was mine and I would accept responsibility. I did that without question, although at the time she conceived I was not living with her I was living with my parents but I did stop at her home on occassion. We where never married but dated her for 3 years prior. Now four years later the truth could be different than what I believed. I signed the birth certificate and admitted in court that I was the father and they are currently taken support out of my checks. Also, she up and moved out of state and I have had no visitation with my son in 2 years and he knows her boyfriend as daddy. So I guess other than the financial parent I am nothing. I do call him every weekend, but most of the time she tells me he is either out or sleeping. What are my rights, what can I do now to determine paternity and possibly if he is not mine to stop paying her support. This matter took place in the state of New York.

U

usdeeper

I do not know the specific details of NY law but generally, you have two years from the time you accept paternity to contest it. Since you excepted the child was yours and did not force a paternity test, then I do not think there is anything you can do... other than petition the court for full and proper visitation. That might be enough to upset the mother and in your case 'rock the boat' which would be a good thing...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">