• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mold in my apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bwatkins

What is the name of your state?undefinedIL

Hi, I live in a garden (a.k.a. basement) apartment in Chicago. Up to last October, when I moved into the place, I never had respiratory problems. I have had bronchitis three times since then, and now have constant asthmatic symptoms. When I moved in, the walls were discolored, and after being washed, would come up discolored again in certain areas. Then, twice the place flooded from a drain behind my apartment backing up. All the landlord did was wet vac. the carpeted area affected. To top it off, there is a large hole of some kind in my back hallway which water builds up in, for which some kind of (I'm assuming) pump has been used back there off and on. I also have forced air ducts on the ceiling, although never really felt air come through there. My landlord has literally told me my claims of mold are unfounded and that maybe I'm crazy. I'm trying desperately to get out of my lease for my health. Any advice? Because the health dept. and the building dept. both here in Chicago have told me they can do nothing. . .

HomeGuru

bwatkins said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedIL

Hi, I live in a garden (a.k.a. basement) apartment in Chicago. Up to last October, when I moved into the place, I never had respiratory problems. I have had bronchitis three times since then, and now have constant asthmatic symptoms. When I moved in, the walls were discolored, and after being washed, would come up discolored again in certain areas. Then, twice the place flooded from a drain behind my apartment backing up. All the landlord did was wet vac. the carpeted area affected. To top it off, there is a large hole of some kind in my back hallway which water builds up in, for which some kind of (I'm assuming) pump has been used back there off and on. I also have forced air ducts on the ceiling, although never really felt air come through there. My landlord has literally told me my claims of mold are unfounded and that maybe I'm crazy. I'm trying desperately to get out of my lease for my health. Any advice? Because the health dept. and the building dept. both here in Chicago have told me they can do nothing. . .

**A: then contact the local and state housing office, the EPA and HUD. Or just go straight to a mold claims attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">