• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I go about responding to petitions filed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Delta

I lived in Montana, and moved to SC with my fiance'. I left my children in the care of a family I thought I could trust, so I could make arrangements for the kids here in SC. I was away from my kids for 3 weeks, called them and emailed them all the time. The day before I left to go to MT to get the kids, I found out my ex (who has never put forth an effort on the children's behalf; never paid the ordered child support, only visited them when he felt like it) had taken the kids and nobody bothered to tell me. Then when I got to MT, he had filed custody papers. I consulted a lawyer, who agreed to help me if I gave him $1000 to start out. Well, the date is drawing VERY near to have my responses into the judge (or whoever they go to). I haven't been able to get the money for the lawyer (and he won't do anything without it), and I don't know what else I can do, but the summons said I had to respond by the 24th of Sept. Please help me quickly, if you can. I have no idea what to do, but I want my kids back. They have lived with me their whole lives, and now all the sudden since he filed the paperwork first, the court is on HIS side? Mr Deadbeat Dad of the Year? Unbelieveable.

LegalBeagle

The court is not on his side.. he has kidnapped the children and will not get custody with the details you have given. What is stated in his petition for the reason for a change in custody ?

Does he have an attorney ??

You need to beg, borrow or max out all your credit cards to get that money. Or you may lose your children.

D

Delta

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LegalBeagle:
The court is not on his side.. he has kidnapped the children and will not get custody with the details you have given. What is stated in his petition for the reason for a change in custody ? There is really no reason, except that I moved to SC, and the children have lived their whole lives in MT

Does he have an attorney ?? Not to my knowledge, but the people who helped him do all this behind my back are willing to back him.

You need to beg, borrow or max out all your credit cards to get that money. Or you may lose your children.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just got a job, and started yesterday, so I am hoping to have the money for a lawyer really soon. But what I need to know is, how do I respond to the petitions BEFORE then? I need to file a response, apparently by Monday, and I'm scared to death. They are also trying to say that I'm an unfit mother, and a drug user, but I'm neither.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">