• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney Required for Probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fgs

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AL
My father died with a notarized will and living trust. I am listed as the executor and sole beneficiary. In order to get the letter of Testamentary to conclude his financial affairs, I intended to file his will with the probate office myself to save the attorney fees. I was told by a clerk in the office that only attorneys have the necessary forms and that I would have to get one (an attorney). I'm not entirely sure that that is true. Can anyone here help me? Thanks in advance for your input.

Dandy Don

This is not the time to be a cheapskate about attorney fees--they may end up being less than you think, and you can well afford it with a trust and other assets. You have no other choice but to consult an attorney about this--I know it seems a bit unfair because those forms should be made available to the public, but this is an example of the lawyers writing the law to favor themselves. An Alabama attorney is not likely to be reading this message board--thus the need for you to consult with one in person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">