• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concert DVD issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rnrhof

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I currently own a large collection of music/concert dvd's. All of these dvd's have been purchased at local retail stores. A sports bar/restaurant owner has asked me if I would like to show my dvd's in his bar on weekends. The bar has four large screens in front that show sporting events from around the world using satellite tv. The owner would like me to show different songs (concert clips) one after another like a dj plays music for a dance floor. The tables in the bar have switches which allow the customers to choose which screen's audio they listen to. The bar does not charge admission.

My concern is if this is legal for me to show these dvd's in a bar/public. Do I need permission and/or do I have to join a union? What are my rights/responsibilties if I am being payed to do this? Does it make a difference if the bar charges admission? How does this differ from a dj playing music in a bar? What other concerns should I have? Is it worth the trouble?

divgradcurl

My concern is if this is legal for me to show these dvd's in a bar/public.
Without a license, no.

Do I need permission and/or do I have to join a union?
Yes, you need a licenses, and No, you don't need to join a union.

What are my rights/responsibilties if I am being payed to do this?
It's actually better if you are getting paid. If you are getting paid, then you are effectively an "employee" of the bar, and therefore the bar would likely be held responsible for any infringing activity that goes on in the bar. If you are not an employee of the bar, then both you and the bar would be liable for infringement.

Does it make a difference if the bar charges admission?
Irrelevant. The fact that there is a "public performance" is what is the problem here.

How does this differ from a dj playing music in a bar?
It does, and it doesn't. If a bar doesn't have a license to publically perform the music, then they would be in violation of copyright law if they had a DJ (or even had the radio or stereo playing, in certain circumstances...). However, most bars have "blanket" licenses that they have purchased through ASCAP and/or BMI, so that they can play the music. So, most liekly its okay for them to have a DJ, because they have a license to do so.

What other concerns should I have? Is it worth the trouble?
You shouldn't really have any concerns. The bar, however, is the one that should have concerns if they are paying you. The bar needs to have a license to publically perform audiovisual works -- they probably already do have a license for musical works, but this license probably does not cover audiovisual works. If ii does, you are set. If it doesn't, the bar needs a license to show DVD's (ANY kind of DVD's, not just concert DVD's).

I guess the other thing you could do if you really wanted to protect yourself is simply rent the DVD's to the bar and let them deal with everything -- you don't need a license to rent the DVD's.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">