• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separate Maintenance Agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bprebel

What is the name of your state?I'm in New Jersey. I have a marital situation, where I would like to stay with my wife and 6-yr-old son, at least for now. However, I want to have separation from a financial perspective. Unfortunately, I realized too late that my wife is in it for the money, by then I had my son who I feel I need to be with. I just don't want her to have 50% share of assets which are mostly mine. She may be quite willing to sign an agreement that specifies how the finances are to be maintained going forward, and how the assets are split at present. I would like to know if that's possible legally, or is it necessary for us to actually go through legal separation & possibly divorce (~which I would like to avoid if I can~). We have been married 9 years. I hope all that made sense. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">