• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fl Cat7

What is the name of your state?FL
In the handbook I have it states "Each family member may be eligible for a monthly benefit that is up to half of your retirement or disability benefit amount. However there is a limit to the total amount of money that can be paid to your family. The limit VARIES, but is generally equal to about 150 to 180 percent of your retirement benefit."
1.How does SSA decide if it is 150% or 180%?
2.If disability, do they use the disability or retirement amount?
3.If retirement which amount, full or early?
I have so far not found this info on their web site but would like to know. Thank you for you time.

tigger22472

My husband is disabled. He gets 1438 a month (or did before the last raise) and half of that was 719. His daughter, our two boys and myself split that 719 between us. I dont' know how they figured it.. I just know that's what they did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">