• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing last name to birth name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tngals

Hi, I am a single mom of 3 girls. We now live in Tennessee. We would all like to go back to using my birth name. I have checked around for lawyers and it is $300 dollars a person. They would like to use it now. Is it possible for them to start usint the last name in school while we are taking one step at a time..I was adopted by my step dad when i was around 1yrs old i am now 31. I do not speak to my birth parents or my step dad as he likes to remimd me. Is it legal for me to stop using my step dads last name and go to my orriginal birth name?

thank you
[email protected]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Look under Section 68 of the tennessee code and under vital records and then search in there for how to change your name. You have the right to change the name for yourself, as for your children, you may need the father's approval.
http://www.lexislawpublishing.com/sdCGI-BIN/om_isapi.dll?clientID=5393&infobase=tncode.NFO&jump=t.%2068&softpage=Document#JUMPDEST_t.%2068

T

tngals

Thank you I have looked at the information you gave me. I should have mentioned that the kids have my last name and no father on birth cirtificate. So i would not have to contact the father in this case right?

thank you tngals

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">