• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother moved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rootie_po

Me and my soon to be husband lives in kentucky. He has an 11 daughter that we get every other weekend. {we had her all summer and christmas break while still paying mother child support}. She had agreed to sign papers where we had his daughter every weekend and long school breaks. Their daughter said this was what she wanted, so everyone agreeed to it, and no one was going to pay support, but split costs for school, sports, etc. Now the mother has moved out of state to indina with the kids, and wants to go back to every other weekend. What kind of rights does the father have when the mother moves to another state. It is about a 3hr drive. She didnt give any notice of the move, just said by the way we are in the process of moving. Any advice?

R

rootie_po

She called the day before the lawyers appointment to say they where moving. I only want to know what the law in kentucky says about moving a child out of state, and if there is anything we can do. Thanks

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rootie_po:
She called the day before the lawyers appointment to say they where moving. I only want to know what the law in kentucky says about moving a child out of state, and if there is anything we can do. Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She has to inform you in writting 30 days prior to the move. This gives you time to petition to either stop her, or have the parenting and visitation agreements changed. ie, longer visitation & her paying for the extra cost of travel.

Since she has moved in the way you state, he has grounds to petition for a change of custody. You have to do it NOW as soon, the new state will take jurisdiction.

Of course.. if there are currently NO court orders in place then ignore my post, find the nearest pen and thrust it into your soon to be husbands hand and tell him to get busy.

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

[This message has been edited by LegalBeagle (edited September 22, 2000).]

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
. . . and OF COURSE, I'll bet there are no court orders in place, or at least a court order for this extended visitation and custody schedule - - just a privately written agreement between the parties. Right? Do I win the bet?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bang bang, chop chop .... Mmmmmmmmmm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">