• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music on a Photo DVD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dak1981

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I offer a service where I take clients photographs and publish them on a DVD Slideshow. THere has been a request to put music playing in the background of the slideshow. Since I am selling the DVD, do I need to purchase the rights or a license for the music, or does it need to be music that the client owns?

divgradcurl

I respectfully disagree with Breezy,

since you are the one creating the DVD, you'll need to obtain a license for the particular song(s) you are putting on the DVD. Contact BMI and\or ASCAP -- you should be able to get a one-time or single-use license.

You should make your clients PAY for the license, though!

BelizeBreeze

divgradcurl said:
I respectfully disagree with Breezy,

since you are the one creating the DVD, you'll need to obtain a license for the particular song(s) you are putting on the DVD. Contact BMI and\or ASCAP -- you should be able to get a one-time or single-use license.

You should make your clients PAY for the license, though!
Now just what in the hell does "No, your client needs to purchse the music rights to performance." mean?

Be nice or I'll start calling you DIVA again :D

divgradcurl

Now just what in the hell does "No, your client needs to purchse the music rights to performance." mean?
I read that as meaning that the client would have the license -- but the client having the license would only give the CLIENT the right to reproduce the music, not the DVD maker.

But maybe we are saying the same thing. Either way, someone's got to pay!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">