• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

protection of assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pcraig

I live in Ohio. I had a 401(k) account and changed jobs prior to getting married. I decided not to rollover to new employer. I beleive if I segregate assets with no commingling of funds, then they are not up for grabs in the event of divorce. Am I correct?? Can I safely roll my 401(k) into an individual IRA and maintain the integrity of the segregation of assets rule?

L

LorieAngel

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcraig:
I live in Ohio. I had a 401(k) account and changed jobs prior to getting married. I decided not to rollover to new employer. I beleive if I segregate assets with no commingling of funds, then they are not up for grabs in the event of divorce. Am I correct?? Can I safely roll my 401(k) into an individual IRA and maintain the integrity of the segregation of assets rule?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just out of curiousity... You're about to get married to a person whom you love and adore dearly,.... and you're worried about divorce..? Maybe I'm not following you here...

LegalBeagle

Retirement is the one thing I would advise to protect.. it is something to have to pay CS for 18-21 years... but then to have to give up your retirement is another matter !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">