• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ron Kuykendall

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I was talked into getting a gum skin graft by a dentist (peridontist) at the Veteran's Administration. I was told it would only be uncomfortable for a few days and that there was nothing to it. I was also told he had performed 15 procedures and had 0 problems. I went ahead with the procedure and knew I was in trouble as he had a dental school instructor telling him how to do this as he did it. First he couldn't get enough skin from my upper palate and had to resort to using cadaver tissue ( which I have read on the internet is a no - no since they don't check it for all the diseases it could carry). He also made a boo boo and lanced my gum with an extra perforation that took several stitches to suture back up. At any rate when the stitches were removed the graft became loose and came out. I have had quite an extensive time trying to heal and am now in the 7th week and my mouth is still sore (a far cry from a few days)........I feel I was this dentists first patient he had performed this procedure on and it was a learning session for him. If I do not heal properly or have additional complications I was wondering if a lawsuit could apply since this is a government agency or am I just stuck with whatever they did to me?
Thanks, Ron Kuykendall

vrzirn

California.
You are, as you said, "stuck". VA facilities are not renowned for their expertise. He probably did do all the procedures he claimed, just omitted telling you they were under supervision.
It is not uncommon for these procedures to develop complications such as failing grafts. However, you will heal, barring some major infection. It is just taking longer than you would wish. Note on your consent for surgery that you were aware of this possibilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">