• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible harrasment charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skiingsean

I live in Arizona..
I know a good friend of mine (also in AZ) who left a vulgar message on someones answering machine some time ago, he just found out today that there are charges being filed against hime (unknown of what) but we were told it could possibly be felony. My question is this, now that it is in the hands of the state. If the person who received the message requests that this ends as is, and drop the charges, is that possible?

Thank you
Sean

divgradcurl

My question is this, now that it is in the hands of the state. If the person who received the message requests that this ends as is, and drop the charges, is that possible?
In general, no. It is the DA who files the charges, and only the DA can drop the charges. Once charges have been filed, a "change of heart" on the part of the victim isn't going to make the case go away. The DA may decide to not pursue the case if the victim will no longer cooperate, but that's the DA's call, not the victim's. And if they have enough evidence for a felony charge, I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">