• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mail tamperng?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prideluv

What is the name of your state? MO

My daughter is currently out of state in hiding with her baby while seeking a Tro. Her ex boyfriend is still here in their home. He has been opening her mail and holding it "hostage" to find out where she is.

Can she press charges for opening her personal mail? If so, would he more than likely get off?

Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

prideluv said:
What is the name of your state? MO

My daughter is currently out of state in hiding with her baby while seeking a Tro. Her ex boyfriend is still here in their home. He has been opening her mail and holding it "hostage" to find out where she is.

Can she press charges for opening her personal mail? If so, would he more than likely get off?

Thank you

My response:

Nope. Once mail is delivered to the proper address, it belongs to that address, and can be opened by anyone. Now, however, if she can prove it, she might have a case for theft of property (or, what we call "conversion of private property") - - but, the Postal Service is out of the equation.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">