• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent's Have Right to Daughter's Gift??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LorieAngel

My boyfriend gave me a ring as a Christmas/Birthday present (1999). My parents took the ring, I found it, and then they took it again fairly recently. Do they have a right to keep was it rightfully mine - what was given to me as a gift?

MySonsMom

That's good IAAL, very good. I am a strong believer in partial strictness with my children, and being a very *involved* parent. (in other words, I would like to know more than I should when it comes to my kids) But I think this parent crossed the line with taking something of value from the child. I can only think of one thing this was done, the parents feel that the child is too young for a ring from a boy...But I feel they are addressing it in the wrong way.

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

MySonsMom

Morning IAAL...I'm doing well..You? :)

------------------

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MySonsMom:
Morning IAAL...I'm doing well..You? :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Just fine. I was telling LB and Tig that I was up early this morning for a court appearance (that was cancelled - secretary didn't tell me) and was still shaking the cobwebs out of my head.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

MySonsMom

LOL..It's rainy and dreary here today, on days like this it's hard to start your day. I like to cuddle up and relax on cold, dreary, rainy days...So I may have a few cobwebs up there too. :)

------------------

L

LorieAngel

Thanks for the response you two. If you must know, my parents and I do not get along very well and I have to say I agree that they crossed the boundary. However, does anyone know if it's LEGAL what they did? If I have to bring the law into this, yes I will. It's rainy and dreary here too, MySonsMom. You must be from the south east?

MySonsMom

As IAAL said, you could take them to small claims court (I think he said that) [its the cobwebs] if you aren't able to retrieve the money. I'm from the midwest, Iowa.

------------------

L

LorieAngel

What does a small claims trial consist of? A judge and that's it? Do I need an attorney? I don't have much money - I'm about to take a trip and then I'll be moving over the summer. I'm in the process of finding a new job, but my school work keeps me very busy at home, so I don't have much time to work. If it costs much money, I'm going to have to do this on my own.. somehow.
Thank you for your replies. It's nice to finally get some kind of answer from someone (I've e-mailed attorneys and have yet to see a reply).

L

LorieAngel

No actually I think my parents would say that yes they took the ring because they believe I'm too young for it - just as you had said earlier. If I had a mark on my rear end from where my father hit me, there would be no lack of evidence...

L

LorieAngel

What a pain this is becoming. If I take them to small claims, is there ANY way I can find ANY kind of proof at all? I was there when my dad ripped it off my finger. He threatened to break it!! I don't understand why they would lie about something like that unless it matters to them THAT MUCH that I don't get it back. :\ Grr
Anymore advice? I think that's about it from my end. Thank you again for all your help.

------------------
"Love, whether newly born, or aroused from a deathlike slumber, must always create a sunshine, filling the heart so full of radiance, that it overflows upon the outward world." ~The Scarlet Letter~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">