• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we take care of all the paperwork at once?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

foxcvt

What is the name of your state? WA

My husband left when I was 3 mo pregnant, I am now moving to WA state and know I have to wait to file for our divorce. My ex has agreed (adimently) to sign over his parental rights to our new son.
Should this be a separate petition - or part of the divorce process?
If it is separate, would that make the child custody paperwork unnecessary?
He has threatened that if I request child support (don't need) he would request alimony (don't care). If there is a problem with the process and the courts still insist on the minimum CS (until his rights are revoked) can I refuse that?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
For starters, you need to find out if WA will permit voluntary termination of parental rights w/o a stepparent willing to adopt. Generally, courts do not like to leave a child w/o two parents liable for support, for a variety of reasons. This may well be something that you CANNOT do.

A possible option wrt support is to come to a written agreement to refund the CS. Of course, unless it's ordered by a court, it's not binding on you.

F

foxcvt

Where will I find this

Is there someplace on the web that I can find out about the WA state law on the matter of revoking his rights?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">