• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Hawaii
I was terminated from my job 3 months ago. I had 1 week of vacation that I had earned but had not used. There is nothing in the company handbook about paying earned vacation upon termination. There is nothing at all that details what the company will do with earned vacation upon separation. As a matter of fact, the only reference to vacation pay in the entire handbook refers to how much vacation one earns per year. My Husband also quit the company when I was terminated, he also had 1 week of vacation coming to him. Is the employer required to pay?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not unless you were a public employee. In Hawaii, a public employer must pay earned but unused vacation time at termination. But if you worked for a private employer, it's up to the company whether to pay it or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">