• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking advice re: will/executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NadineBauer51

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I am seeking advice on my mother's behalf, since my mom is in the grieving process and cannot think straight right now. Here's the issue, in condensed form. My grandmother (mom's mother) passed away a week ago. Mom is grandma's only child. Grandma, to everyone's bewilderment, appointed her niece as the executor of her estate. The niece was not very close with Grandma, however my mother was very close to her. The will states that the niece is to receive 50% of Grandma's residuary estate and Mom is to receive 50%. My mother is having a hard time understanding this considering past circumstances, but she will not force the issue, as she is a very passive person who does not wish confrontation. I, on the other hand, do not know nor do I trust this woman. I want to make sure my mother is not cheated out of anything that is due her. She was my grandparents' sole caregiver for many years throughout their terminal illnesses and never asked for a dime from anyone, and has been taken advantage of in the past. What steps can I take to ensure that mom is treated fairly? Is there a way to have access to my grandmother's estate details...mom knows nothing about grandma's bank accounts, cd's, etc...and I'm worried about the niece witholding information from her. Thanking you in advance for any help & information...

Esquire555

Probate it

you need to probate the will in order to obtain all the information about the estate and then contest it if you have to.

divgradcurl

In addition to making sure the will gets probated, if you are really concerned about this niece, you should consider hiring an attorney to look out for your Mom's interests.

Dandy Don

Just be patient and let the probate process play out--executor is going to have to account for all items in the official accounting and there is no need for concern right now. Your mother or someone else in the family should try to attend at least one of the probate hearings in person to keep abreast of what is going on.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">