• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Overdue Support Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EPowell

My mother-in-law left her husband (George)when my husband was 2 or 3 years old. They obtained a legal devorce where child support was determined. They were living in Concord, California at the time (@1973-1974). George stopped paying child support and a lawsuit was filed in Panorama City, California with the Los Angeles County Superior Court. George never showed up for the hearing. We think we have located George but we are not sure. We have been advised not to try and make contact with George. My husband and I are wondering if my husband or his mom are entitled to any back payments of child support. My husband and I live in Middlesex County, New Jersey and my husband is now 28 years old. My mother-in-law lives in Texas and we believe George is living in Seattle, Washington. We don't know where we should go from here. Any advice on next steps would really help.
Thanks so much!

S

skorpio

You can ask your local DA Family Support Division what they could possibly do, But in the end, if "Dad" didn't pay then he may not pay now. I would not have any contact with this person, nor would I ever let him in my life- your better off letting by-gones be just that.

Skorpio

LegalBeagle

CS that is court ordered never dies.. if a court orders a person to pay then even 20 years later they can be 'had' !.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">