• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support(agree or disagree)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tracy Fecteau

My son's father is about $14,000 in the hole,and wants me to make a signed agreement with his attorney to have him pay me an agreed upon sum then continue monthly support without Oregon State intervention,so that he can eliminate any back support due. now the back support does not concern me but I don't beleive he will pay monthly,in a consistant manner (he never has in the past),My question is: If I sign an agreement with him will the state still be able to help me if he does not pay the monthly amount? Or am I on my own after that?

T

Tracy Fecteau

forgot to mention none of the support is owed to the state,I was never on welfare

S

Snoopy

Do not sign any agreement. Get to court and have him ordered by a court. With owing so much he will end up in jail if he does not pay.

You can still get state aid if he does not pay.

T

Tracy Fecteau

He is already court ordered to pay $276.00 a month. has never paid the amount in full,I have recieved pymnts of 100.00 now and then,sometimes regularly mostly not. if I wanted to eliminate past due amount are you saying take him to court to work out details, or just let the state handle it?

S

Snoopy

Take him to court and let a judge sort it out. He will be told to pay or go to jail. If he continues not to pay, he will go to jail. Do not bother with any settlement or that crap, drag his arse to court.

F

fry

I personally would take the lump sum, and just make sure the continuing cs was filed with the court, so that you have recourse if he doesn't pay.
Why does everyone want him thrown in jail? Sounds like he's trying to do the right thing, and the poster isn't concerned with back support. Arrears appear to be impossible to overcome. A lump sum could be earning nice interest....
Just my opinion, of course.....

S

Skorpio

I would tell him to pay what he owes or relinquish Parental rights to the child. Then you don't have to deal with him anymore.
If he hasn't paid then we probably won't pay now, and he'd be winning his "Game"

Skorpio

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skorpio:
I would tell him to pay what he owes or relinquish Parental rights to the child. Then you don't have to deal with him anymore.
If he hasn't paid then we probably won't pay now, and he'd be winning his "Game"
Skorpio
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can not relinguish parental rights just because you owe money. If he does not pay, then he goes to jail. The vast majority of people end up paying once they are faced with jail time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">