• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tammimcarter

What is the name of your state? Maryland

What are/is the statue of limitations for Medical Malpractice of Howard County, Maryland?

T

tammimcarter

state of Maryland (Howard County).
I'm very sorry, but I am very serious and I am looking for the correct answer to my question if anyone knows the answer, PLEASE. :eek:

ShyCat

BelizeBreeze was just having fun with you. The correct term for SOL is "statute", not "statue".

Sorry, I don't know what it is for MD but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the answer.

ellencee

tammimcarter
Below is the information for Maryland, which is the state I presumed to which you referred and not the state of the original poster. I try to always state that the poster should verify the statute of limitations with an attorney in their area (area of the proposed suit) as ONLY an attorney can tell you which statute of limitations applies to a particular case. Statutes of limitations are often disputed and argued in court even though the law seems to be specific on the matter.

EC--and, by the way, congratulations are in order--You honestly made me think I had lost my mind. I've deleted my original post (copied here) as it is in someone else's thread.--ah, but I wane anecdotic...on to Maryland...

Source: Maryland Code : COURTS AND JUDICIAL PROCEEDINGS : TITLE 5. LIMITATIONS, PROHIBITED ACTIONS, AND IMMUNITIES : SUBTITLE 1. LIMITATIONS : § 5-109.
§ 5-109. Actions against health care providers.

(a) Limitations.- An action for damages for an injury arising out of the rendering of or failure to render professional services by a health care provider, as defined in § 3-2A-01 of this article, shall be filed within the earlier of:
(1) Five years of the time the injury was committed; or
(2) Three years of the date the injury was discovered.
(b) Actions by claimants under age 11.- Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, if the claimant was under the age of 11 years at the time the injury was committed, the time limitations prescribed in subsection (a) of this section shall commence when the claimant reaches the age of 11 years.
(c) Exceptions to age limitations in certain actions.-
(1) The provisions of subsection (b) of this section may not be applied to an action for damages for an injury:
(i) To the reproductive system of the claimant; or
(ii) Caused by a foreign object negligently left in the claimant's body.
(2) In an action for damages for an injury described in this subsection, if the claimant was under the age of 16 years at the time the injury was committed, the time limitations prescribed in subsection (a) of this section shall commence when the claimant reaches the age of 16 years.
(d) Effect of filing claim.- For the purposes of this section, the filing of a claim with the Health Claims Arbitration Office in accordance with § 3-2A-04 of this article shall be deemed the filing of an action.
(e) Effect of other provisions.- The provisions of § 5-201 of this title that relate to a cause of action of a minor may not be construed as limiting the application of subsection (b) or (c) of this section.
(f) Application.- Nothing contained in this section may be construed as limiting the application of the provisions of:
(1) § 5-201 of this title that relate to a cause of action of a mental incompetent; or
(2) § 5-203 of this title.
[1987, ch. 592; 1988, ch. 6, § 1.]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">