• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Record and Security Clearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LuftOberst

What is the name of your state? California

I am now 43, but had a felony burglary conviction around 14. No other run ins with the law since then...not even a ticket.

How will this affect obtaining a Security clearance?

How can I determine if my juvenile records have been sealed?

VR_Hunter

LuftOberst said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am now 43, but had a felony burglary conviction around 14. No other run ins with the law since then...not even a ticket.

How will this affect obtaining a Security clearance?

How can I determine if my juvenile records have been sealed?
A lot depends on what type of security clearance you are trying to get. For most of them, you can have a problem that far back and still get a clearance.

In my experience, if you are forth coming in your security clearance paperwork, you will be asked about the incident, but you will end up getting your security clearance. If they find out about it and you didn't put it on your paperwork...you are toast. They will mark you as liar and a risk.

CdwJava

In CA it could also prevent you from employment as a peace officer. But, that's different than a security clearance, so given the time that has passed, VR's right - it probably won't be too big a deal unless you lie about it.

Carl

L

LuftOberst

Awesome. Other sources asked after posting here corroborate this information. In effect, they stated that it is far better to be forthcoming with the information that try to hide it.

By way of anecdotal information, I am now aware of a person who had 2 adult ADW's, and still managed to acquire a Top Secret clearance.

I genuinely appreciate everyone's assisitance. Thanks!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My ex had a (justified) restraining order against him, and he got security clearance with no problem. I was interviewed by the Feds at the time and it came up. Not a clue if he mentioned it or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">