• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespassing at School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

ZenGorilla

What is the name of your state? Washington, King County, City of Burien

I have a few questions regarding a legal situation.

Here's the deal. Two friends (both 18) and I (17, 18 in september) went out last night and climbed on top of a local high school to stargaze. About a half hour later we were climbing down and three police cars showed up. We calmly climbed down and turned ourselves in. We were handcuffed, seperated, and put in the back of the police cars, one friend with me and another in a different car by himself. They asked all of us what our intentions were, and we all responded we just wanted to look around (which we did). After a half an hour of questioning, they uncuffed us and said they were going to charge all of us with trespassing, a misdemeanor. They said to watch our mailboxes because we would be mailed a citation.

My first question is, how long will it take them to mail the citation? I am leaving out of state for the rest of the summer in a week or so...is there any way I can pick up my citation at the office now (or within a week)?

For my second question, what are the rough chances of a judge throwing the case out? We are all high school graduates with good GPA's, all have been accepted to the University of Washington next year, and all have completely clean criminal and driving records. Is there an option for deferral?

Thirdly, if the case is not thrown out, what kind of fines can I expect? Dare I ask if I'll recieve jail time? How much difference will a trespassing offense make to an employer, or would I even have to report it seeing as how it's not a felony?

Lastly, if the case is not thrown out (or deferred), how long do I have to wait to expunge the arrest from my record?

I realize these questions are specific because I am under 18. If you have answers for them for my two friends who are over 18, that would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you very much for reading. Who knew stargazing would get us in so much trouble? :(

EDIT: One question I thought of since posting: Am I allowed to bring character witnesses to court? Would it make any difference? Thanks.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Contact the police department and find out who is mailing you the citation or court information. When you find out what agency will be doing that, give them a call and advise them of your plans for the rest of the summer ... unfortunately, your plans may HAVE to change.

In CA it would be the county (Juvenile) Probation Department - in your state it could be handled by another agency.

If you fail to take care of it, you may well come home from your summer break and find yourself going to juvenile hall (or jail if you are 18 then).

Chances are this is no big deal unless they suspect you were up to something besides stargazing ... which, I know I would suspect. The question is, what can they reasonably prove if push came to shove.

It's probably going to be no big deal. But, if they intend to push the issue, you might consider retaining legal counsel. And you might want to do that anyway as a conviction even for trespassing could effect scholarships, job offerings, etc. in the future.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">