• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citation base on Vague Ordinance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RobertMarion

I live in Washington State, in the city of Arlington. I recently received a citation for a nuisance dog.

The citation was written by a friend of the complainant and did not feel fair. It felt like the ordinance was arbitrarily applied since there are many dogs in my neighborhood and mine barks very infrequently. I got rid of the dog before the citation and the officer said that he believed that it would be dismissed, but the citation carries a $1000 max. fine and I don't want to risk it.

After I read the code, I felt that it did not contain language that could easily be understood, so I decided to investigate the constitutionality of the ordinance.

I found a case involving a Spokane city ordinance with the same wording. In that case, the supreme court of Washington declared the law unconstitutionally vague and therefore void.

My question is . . . How do I get my case dismissed? I think that I need to make a motion, but I don't know about the form. I also don't know if I just ask the court to dismiss the case, or ask him/her to declare the law void and cite the supreme courts decision.

Below is the relevant information:

The citation is written on Arlington Municipal Code (8.08.150 Nuisances designated) "Nuisances are defined as follows: (1) Any dog which by habitual howling, yelping, barking, or other noise disturbs or annoys any person or neighborhood to an unreasonable degree."

The relevant Supreme Court decision is: Spokane v. Fischer (110 Wn.2d 541, 754 P.2d 1241)

Can anyone here help?

Last edited:

stephenk

since you admit you dont have the legal knowledge to file a motion to dismiss, you can consult with an attorney to prepare such a motion for you and then you argue it in court on your own behalf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">