• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

residential vs commercial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sew1959

What is the name of your state? IN
I have owned my property since 1990 which is adjacent to some commercial property that was vacant at that time and not occupied until 1996. The original owners of the commercial property had installed a chain link fence between our properties along one side and what I thought was behind my property. The back end of my yard was filled with concrete pieces and other fill type stuff, and all kinds of growth, but was inside the fence. In the last 2 years we have torn down the fence and trees that were growing through it etc. We have leveled it off and put gravel down to park some vehicles on to have access to the alley on the side. We installed some wooden fence posts to construct a fence exactly where the old one was. But the commercial people said that we put them on their property. The said they had it surveyed, but there are no markings anywhere.
We did some research and we think they are correct. Our issue is why did they wait until we spent money and time to clean everything up and then claim its theirs!!!!
Is there anything we can do about me living here longer than they have been around? Or immiment domain?

HomeGuru

sew1959 said:
What is the name of your state? IN
I have owned my property since 1990 which is adjacent to some commercial property that was vacant at that time and not occupied until 1996. The original owners of the commercial property had installed a chain link fence between our properties along one side and what I thought was behind my property. The back end of my yard was filled with concrete pieces and other fill type stuff, and all kinds of growth, but was inside the fence. In the last 2 years we have torn down the fence and trees that were growing through it etc. We have leveled it off and put gravel down to park some vehicles on to have access to the alley on the side. We installed some wooden fence posts to construct a fence exactly where the old one was. But the commercial people said that we put them on their property. The said they had it surveyed, but there are no markings anywhere.
We did some research and we think they are correct. Our issue is why did they wait until we spent money and time to clean everything up and then claim its theirs!!!!

**A: I don't know. Did you ask them?

Is there anything we can do about me living here longer than they have been around?

**A: no.
Or immiment domain?
**A: there is no immiment domain and there is no eminent domain applicable in your case.

Last edited:

nextwife

Many commercial property owners don't use the building themselves. They may have had no clue you were making those repairs.

Anyway, when one is placing a fence, garage, or any other permanant structure on their land, it is their responsibilty to make certain it is placed in the correct location-not the neighbors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">