• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gross malpractice. Please help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

markraby

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hi. This is actually concerning my mom who isn't exactly computer-savvy (not that you need to know that -- just in case it seems like I'm missing some details or something, that's why I mentioned it). She's had ongoing health problems, and two years ago she started seeing an endocrinologist.

There were just numerous ongoing problems at this place. The biggest problem was shortly after they stopped working with our insurance. In fact, it wasn't until after one of her appointments that they told us they no longer accepted it. The receptionist told her they would work something out. Anyway, after said appointment, they kept harrassing my mom to get a test to see if she had Cushing's. They would call every day saying she needed to get this test.

We all knew it would be very expensive if they didn't take our insurance. But this woman was supposedly the best endocrinologist around (at least, that's what word-of-mouth said). So again, the receptionist told her they would be able to work something out.

So finally, after my mom was sick of getting calls from them every day, she scheduled a day to get the test done. They told her the procedure, but when she showed up for it, they were doing something completely different.

My mom questioned the doctor about what she was doing, but she just screamed at her. This incorrect procedure was very painful for my mom. She dug into my mom's arm with a needle for minutes to insert an IV. She didn't try to find the vein first -- she just stuck the needle in there and moved it around. This was so painful it almost caused my mom to faint.

After this horrible incident, my mom decided to consult another endocrinologist who was shocked at what happened. She informed my mom that that procedure was for an entirely different thing -- not Cushings. The procedure for Cushings is a very simple, 60-second ordeal.

That was just the tip of the iceberg by the way. This doctor was very unprofessional, including not wearing gloves when necessary and my mom never saw her wash her hands. My mom was also left in an examining room on a very high fold-back chair for 20 minutes after an appointment, and could not get anyone's attention so she tried to get out herself and fel, spraining her ankle.

My mom had this investigated by a local news station. Every time they would call this doctor's office, they would say "No comment." We still owed for an appointment and that (incorrect) test. We got a letter from the news station saying the problem was resolved.

Now, this doctor has sold her practice to another doctor and now she (the new one) is suing us for this bill, which is two years old. The doctor in question is still in practice, however, just at a different location.

Yes, they're suing, despite sending only one notice (way back before we contacted the news) to which my mom sent a letter certified mail, and we never heard anything back from that.

We are going to fight this, obviously. But my main question is: is it worth it to go for a medical malpractice lawsuit? I hope our statute is not up -- if it is, is there some kind of legal action we could take against this doctor? My mom's husband and mother are both witnesses to everything I wrote here (except the time she was left on the elevated chair).

Again, thanks in advance for any help!

--Mark--

Last edited:

M

markraby

Thank you for your reply. So tell me this: does my mom have to pay those bills, even though they administered the wrong test?

--Mark--

vrzirn

Any "simple 60 second ordeal" can seem like an eternity. Perhaps the test that was done was also 60 seconds. You have not really explained what procedure was actually done in lieu of what should have been done-hearsay evidence, by the way. Many times tests are performed to "rule out" certain conditions or confirm a suspicion of a disease process.
Have your mother call the doctor, explain the situation and see if they will give you a break on the bill. If so, pay it and forget it. It is not worth the hassle of being dunned by collection agents or being sued and having a judgement recorded. But, if you are up for an adventure, just wait and let them sue. Explain to the judge and perhaps you will win. Remember, there is that signed contract to pay and consent for the procedure(whatever is was).
When a medical practice is sold it includes the accounts payable and receivable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">