• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Problem?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JoeMich

What is the name of your state? CA

The executor of my grandfather's estate apparently made a small loan ($5,000) to himself, to which he returned to the estate account about two weeks later.

He has some story about why he took the money (to pay someone for work to be done on the estate's behalf, paid in cash, only to decide against it and return the money). It sounds fishy to me, however, the money was eventually accounted for.

Is there anything that can be done? I haven't fully trusted him from the beginning, but he appears to have done a reputable job managing the estate, so I might have been wrong. I just don't like the idea of him using the estate account as a temporary ATM.

thanks
Joe

Dandy Don

He may or may not have acted improperly--and you don't have all of the evidence, since you don't know how the check was made out. He probably was advised or figured it out on his own that this was improper and that is why he made restitution. There is no need to do anything at this time since restitution has been made, but when the estate has closed you need to have someone scrutinize the accounting information he provides very carefully to make sure there were no other unauthorized payments.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">