• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slipped on hotel bathtub

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

markraby

What is the name of your state? Ohio (Incident happened in Kentucky)

A certain topic here made me remember this issue. About 4 months ago, my family and I were staying at a very nice hotel in Kentucky. Our first morning there, I took a shower and, as I was getting out, I slipped, fell out, and cracked my head open on the tile floor, causing me to black out and get a concussion -- which incidentally ruined the entire vacation for me.

We then realized that there were no grips or anything on the floor of the bathtub, meaning it became way too slippery after it was wet. We took pictures and everything -- went to the ER and have the documents from there, but we're having a hard time contacting the hotel.

My question: Should the hotel be responsible for the medical bills? I mean, it's not unreasonable to expect there to be some kind of protective material on the floor of the bathtub.

--Mark--

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

markraby said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio (Incident happened in Kentucky)

About 4 months ago, my family and I were staying at a very nice hotel in Kentucky.

MY RESPONSE: "The AirStream Trailer Coach Inn", I suspect.

Our first morning there, I took a shower and, as I was getting out, I slipped, fell out, and cracked my head open on the tile floor, causing me to black out and get a concussion -- which incidentally ruined the entire vacation for me.

MY RESPONSE: Yikes!

We then realized that there were no grips or anything on the floor of the bathtub, meaning it became way too slippery after it was wet. We took pictures and everything -- went to the ER and have the documents from there, but we're having a hard time contacting the hotel.

MY RESPONSE: Yelling outside your living room window to contact the hotel can be difficult. Did you try using the phone yet?

My question: Should the hotel be responsible for the medical bills?

MY RESPONSE: What did the hotel say to you or your family at check-out time? Obviously, you reported this to management, correct?

I mean, it's not unreasonable to expect there to be some kind of protective material on the floor of the bathtub.

MY RESPONSE: Usually, some type of rubber pad or no-slip grip tape is applied to the tub bottom. So, it's no unreasonable - - but listen, you're really not dealing with a "very nice hotel", especially if it looks like something out of Psycho!

IAAL

M

markraby

Well, by nice hotel, I mean upscale -- expensive (it was a Marriott to be specific). And yes, I poorly worded that earlier phrase: what I mean is we're getting the runaround from them when we call. We didn't report it at checkout; but we called the hotel directly from the ER and asked to speak to the appropriate person. He said to get in contact with them again after all the medical stuff was taken care of. And I just recently (within the past month) had to go (to my family physician) for a final check-up, so all the medical fees have finally reached an end. Of course, though, now the management doesn't want to talk to us. They keep saying they're busy, or such-and-such a person isn't there, or they just disconnect us.

Is that enough info to get a rough idea on whether or not we have a case here? If you think we do, would we just be able to cover the medical expenses (what I'm expecting) or would the hotel costs or even pain and suffering be possible?

Again, thanks for your help.

--Mark--

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">