• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I purchased a home in 1998. I am on the title and mortgage. Husband and I are considering refinancing and due to credit issues, my husband will be the only one on the mortgage however I will be on the deed.

If something happens in our marriage and we seperate, my husband will then be entitled to half of the value of the house correct?

Is there some law that stipulates that if the property is purchased prior to marriage that the new spouse is not entitled to half?

Thanks in advance.

BelizeBreeze

If something happens in our marriage and we seperate, my husband will then be entitled to half of the value of the house correct?
Correct.

Is there some law that stipulates that if the property is purchased prior to marriage that the new spouse is not entitled to half?
Yes, but by refinancing and placing his name on the deed, it doesn't apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">