• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital keeps sending her home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carla28s

What is the name of your state? California

My neighbor is concerned about her adopted daughter, who is now 6 weeks past due on her pregnancy. The daughter is using drugs and is not covered by any kind of insurance now that she had her case closed by the department of social services department for aid. The daughter has not been to a doctor during her whole pregnancy. She has been picked up by the ambulance 4 times now but the hospital keeps sending her home and says theres nothing they will do for her. Her baby was due 6 weeks ago and I believe this is unsafe for her and the baby. The hospital has monitored the babies heart beat and found it very unstable. Is this right that the hospital is sending her home without delivering the baby? What are her rights? The baby is going to die, maybe even the mother. Please help.

enjay

Carla, something tells me that you aren't getting the full story.

The drug addicted mother has not seen a doctor throughout her entire pregnancy, so chances are she isn't the 6 weeks overdue she claims she is. If the went to the ER and the baby was in distress, she would be admitted and the child would be delivered.

carla28s

I dont think im getting the whole story either

California

Yes I think there some info missing here also. If some of what i've been told is true, assuming she has no insurance, and she is using drugs and has no intention on applying for any kind of medical coverage what can be done for whatever health that poor little baby has left? Can my neighbor get the records from the hospital saying exactly what happened during the visits?

enjay

It sounds like a very sad situation. :( Your neighbor doesn't have a right to her daughter's medical information, assuming her daughter is an adult. Her daughter could request that information from the hospital.

rmet4nzkx

It doesn't sound like you are getting the whole story, although some women go a month overdue before induction, if she hasn't had prenatal care they may be unsure as the actual date of the pregnancy. Has your neighbor gone with her to the hospital or are all of these reports of the daughter?

Report it to CPS to be on the safe side on behalf of the unborn child, which does have rights in California after 8 weeks. The hospital is a mandated reporter but if she didn't tell them she was on drugs and tested clear and wasn't measuring overdue, she may be using it as her prenatal care.

carla28s

more information

california

There was more to the story afterall. I told my neighbor what was said in the previous threads and it made plenty of sense to her. The daughter ended delivering the baby on that following day with no problems as far as sending her home or denying her medical treatment but there was a problem with who will be taking the baby home because they tested the mother and found the drugs in her system. My neighbor has 2 of the daughters children already and when the daughter gave birth to the newborn she gave my neighbors address instead of her own. So cps came to her home and searched through the whole house and finding nothing of the daughter personal belongings to prove this being her residence cps thought it be best for my neighbor to get custody of all 3 children. The baby is still in the hospital but cps said they could get the baby on 7-24-03 but today they gave the baby back to the daughter. She is using drugs and I don't see why would they do this? Even after cps gave my neighbor custody! Is this right to do?
Thanks again and sorry about posting under wrong forum

rmet4nzkx

Maybe she is staying with her mother and in some sort of a program with a court date comming up? If not I'm sure your neighbor will be there shortly she has been there before. I am glad the baby was safely born!

carla28s

exactly the situation

California

Yes thats exactly the situation. There giving her the baby back but under circumstances she straighten out her life. I just find it confusing because who's to say she is actually doing this until she gets another drug test done and I hope she is successfull and hope the baby is safe through this all. She has a court date set tomorrow as a matter of fact.

Thanks for the response and concern

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">