• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend became pregnant, reconciled with Wife, no paternity yet, what should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MikeC

Had an extra marital affair, girlfriend became pregnant, I started intensive counseling to cope, girlfriend moved away in June 99 prior to child being born,left on good terms, child born Aug 99, relationship with girlfriend began to deteriorate, flew girlfriend into chicago to see baby in Jan 2000, over next several month relationship with girlfriend out of state continued to deteriorate, just several months ago, beginning of July 2000 girlfriend cut off all communication with me both phone, mail and email and filed restraining order against me claiming threats. I hired attorney, travelled out of state, cut deal with girlfriend's attorney to have restraining order issued on temporary 90 day term to allow her to recoup emotionally. I am approximately 7 weeks from that order being lifted. My lawyer advised that paternity test should be taken to at least put a specific definition on who I am to that child. Girlfriend concurred, indicated she does not want child support from me and really wants nothing more to do with me. Wife knows now, worked intensive counseling with her to reconcile, I am at crossroads. Should I have test done? Even if she has indicated she dosn't want child support what are her options. If child is indeed mine, I have no problem with that, agree to my responsibility, but what does this leave me open to, other scenarios. What if girlfriend does not voluntarily take test, or what if girlfriend has taken flight? I want to do the right thing and I am not running from my responsibility? Please ......

S

skorpio

What I would do if I were you is this, get a paternity test. Find out results. If the child is yours, then be the father you should be. Ask the GF what she wants- if she wants you to relinquish, then come to some agreement, if that is what you want. If not fight for everything you can have. And make sure your wife is ready to fight as well, because you both are in this. It won't be easy nor cheap. But in the end it is your decision and you will have to do what is righ tfor you. Either way I would seek an Attorney

Skorpio

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">