• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wife refuses to sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

froggygirl2004

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have a friend who is trying to get a divorce. His wife refuses to sign the papers. She doesn't even have a lawyer. Does anybody know what to do next? And how long can this be drawn out. They have no kids. The only part of the papers she doesn't agree with is the part that says she needs to pay him for money that he has put in the home which she gets to keep. Any help is appreciated.

If your friend wants a divorce and nothing else, then he should just agree to whatever your wife asks for, and then drag her to sign-off on the divorce papers infront of a notary and file it. If your friend wants to get money from his wife in return for her keeping the house, etc. etc. and she is refusing to do so, then your friendly should go visit a lawyer. If he doesn't have the money, then he should go seek legal aides. How long this may drag out and how much it will cost him really depends on just what your friend really wants out of this divorce... Who owns this house anyway...why is he giving it up to her..how long were they married...? Just how much in dollar amount is he asking her to pay him back?

froggygirl2004

My friend has a lawyer but the wife doesn't.

The house is in her name. They were engaged but not yet married when they bought it and he had too much debt in his name so she put it in her name.

After they were married they got a loan from his uncle to do some maintenance to the house in agreement that they would pay him back and they also borrowed money from his mother for the wedding. He just wants her 1/2 of the money borrowed back so he can repay his mother and uncle.

His lawyer is talking about going to a jury trial. What happens if she does not have the money to get a lawyer?

Thanks for the reply.

BelizeBreeze

If he already has an attorney, and since you are not involved in the divorce, tell him simply to listen to his attorney. There's nothing we can tell you here without a complete review of not only the loan agreements but also the deed and mortgage files and the divorce file.

I agree with BelizeBreeze. And why do you keep focusing on the issue that the wife won't get a lawyer...when push comes to shove, I'm sure she will do what she has to do and get one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">