• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbors fence is on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Milor4487

We live in Missouri and our neighbors asked if they could connect their wood fence to our chain link fence which would give them 3-4 feet of our property on their side. We did not think anything of it since we have really good neighbors. It has been approximately 2 years since they erected their fence. Will we lose any of our property in a certain amount of time? Or will it always be our property?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Milor4487 said:
We live in Missouri and our neighbors asked if they could connect their wood fence to our chain link fence which would give them 3-4 feet of our property on their side. We did not think anything of it since we have really good neighbors. It has been approximately 2 years since they erected their fence. Will we lose any of our property in a certain amount of time? Or will it always be our property?

My response:

You could. It's called adverse possession (or, in some circles, "squatting"). However, without getting into the law or ramifications about that, just tell your neighbor that you want a written "encroachment" agreement that states to the effect a description of the property in question, and that the neighbor will never claim the property as their own, or give any rights to their successors, assigns, or heirs in that property.

If the neighbor refuses or fails to sign and date such an agreement within 10 days after you present it, then remove that portion of his fence from your property.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">