• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I in the wrong forum?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wundrtek

Arizona Resident
I have a clean driving record for more than 7 yrs. 1.5 yrs. ago got speeding ticket for 40 in 30, paid fine. Over. In 1998 I got pulled for DUI. Case dismissed. License suspended for 1 yr. as of Nov. 2000 relating to 1998 DUI. Required to carry SR-22 for 3 yrs. SR-22 up in Nov. 2003. Insurance lapsed for 3 months in July of 2003. and license suspended for no mandatory insurance. Got SR-22 and everything legal again in Nov. 2003. DMV said carry for 3 more months till Feb 24th of 2004. In March cancelled SR-22, but still have insurance. In June of 2004 DMV suspends license, registration, and plates for not having SR-22, and letting insurance lapse for 3 months. Denied hearing in this matter. According to ARS 28-4088.
Am I reading the law correctly?
Is There something I'm missing?
Can they do this?
Can they require you to carry 2 SR-22's at the same time?

B

blameshifting

wundrtek said:
Arizona Resident
I have a clean driving record for more than 7 yrs. 1.5 yrs. ago got speeding ticket for 40 in 30, paid fine. Over. In 1998 I got pulled for DUI. Case dismissed. License suspended for 1 yr. as of Nov. 2000 relating to 1998 DUI. Required to carry SR-22 for 3 yrs. SR-22 up in Nov. 2003. Insurance lapsed for 3 months in July of 2003. and license suspended for no mandatory insurance. Got SR-22 and everything legal again in Nov. 2003. DMV said carry for 3 more months till Feb 24th of 2004. In March cancelled SR-22, but still have insurance. In June of 2004 DMV suspends license, registration, and plates for not having SR-22, and letting insurance lapse for 3 months. Denied hearing in this matter. According to ARS 28-4088.
Am I reading the law correctly?
Is There something I'm missing?
Can they do this?
Can they require you to carry 2 SR-22's at the same time?
That isn't a clean driving record. What do you mean when you say you cancelled your SR22, it sounds more like you cancelled your insurance and your insurance company notified the DMV. You keep resetting that three year clock everytime you screw up and cancel your insurance (or more likely just fail to pay the bill) and get your license suspended again.

21) What is an SR22?
Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your vehicle registration and/or driver license. To reinstate these privileges, fees and future proof of financial responsibility must be filed with MVD. The future proof requirement is most commonly an SR22 from an insurance company licensed to conduct business in the state of Arizona.

22) How long am I required to have an SR22?
You must maintain an SR22 for three years from the date of suspension, unless it is a judgment suspension. Because judgment suspension requirements can vary from case to case, contact a Customer Service Representative by telephone to review your record and determine the length of time you need to maintain the SR22 for a judgment suspension.

W

wundrtek

Still have insurance

I changed from proof of financial responsibility for the future (SR-22) to regular insurance and am still covered to this day. About two months ago I received a letter telling me everything was suspended because I changed it. Even though they told me I only had to carry it until Feb. 24th. No lapses in coverage since July of 2003. Besides just because I have a registered vehicle doesn't mean I have to carry Insurance. I only have to have insurance if I want to drive it on the public roadways. Is that Correct?

B

blameshifting

wundrtek said:
I changed from proof of financial responsibility for the future (SR-22) to regular insurance and am still covered to this day. About two months ago I received a letter telling me everything was suspended because I changed it. Even though they told me I only had to carry it until Feb. 24th. No lapses in coverage since July of 2003. Besides just because I have a registered vehicle doesn't mean I have to carry Insurance. I only have to have insurance if I want to drive it on the public roadways. Is that Correct?
You were still obligated to have an SR-22 and when you switched carriers and no longer provided an SR-22 your license and registration were again suspended for failure to have an SR-22 filing.

In your case you cannot have an uninsured vehicle registered in the State of Arizona because of your SR-22 status. Here are your three choices:

1) Serve out your three year SR-22 filing term.
2) Drop your SR-22 and have your license and vehicle registration suspended. This will restart the clock on your three year SR-22 requirement if you ever want your license or registration back.
3) Voluntarily give up your license and registration. This stops the clock on your SR-22 filing requirement and if you want your license or registration back you must file an SR-22 for the remainder of your three year term.

You can't simply decide your 3 year term is up, you have to request that the director waive your SR-22 filing requirement at the end of your three year term.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">