• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

helpme,please

I am curious about something. I have full custody of my three children. My ex was ordered to pay child support, but doesn't and owes us for five years. My oldest is a teenager now and I am wondering that if she decided to live with my ex, would I have to pay child support, considering I am "owed" that much? Does anyone know how a situation like this would work? Thanks.

H

helpme,please

Sorry, I forgot to say that I live in Arizona. Thanks.

S

skorpio

Child support is determined by how much money is made by both parents, and how many other dependants are in the household. If your exhusband hasn't paid support in five years, you need to have him served with contempt, and force to courta to be stricked with him. You have three children and they need support. As far as you paying support if one of the children goes to live with him, you may not have to pay- but I would go to the County Family support division of the DA and let them know he hasn't paid you anything- it is easier to let them force payment on your ex than it is for you to take him to court- I would also an attorney on your possiblities and abilities and rights.

Skorpio

S

sturgeon

If your husband owes you back support my advice to you is to contact your local chapter of ACES. The national office is located in Toledo, OH and is run by a lady named Geraldine Jensen. There are chapters and support groups in every state in the nation. They can show you how to make the state collect the money that you are owed without having to pay an attorney. The state gets both state and federal money to do this job and most of them suck until you learn how to force them to do the job they are being paid to do. If your daughter moves in with her father they will do a split custody order and some of the support he is paying you will be offset by what you would owe him for her. it is all based on income and guidelines. in your support order it should show what his amount per child should be and what your order would be if he had the children and if done correctly it might even be done a per child basis. for example if the standart support amount or basic support amount on the worksheet were 200 per child for him and 100 per child for you then your new support order would be 200 X 2 for the remaaining children - 100 for the child he has custody of for a total payment to you of 300 instead of the original 600. depending on how long it has been since your support order was issued and how much you and your ex's incomes have changed the per child order may go up or down but it is all done by guidelines obtainable from your local child support office. ACES has an 800 number, the acronym stands for the Association for Children for Enforcement of Support. I hope this helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">